The Reluctant Stylista

I bought this cute floral dress with a sweetheart neckline when Forever 21 first opened in the Philippines.  Most people will probably say that it was a very out-of-character purchase for me, but the truth is, I love dainty, 50s-inspired print dresses (I’ll have you know, I also have a cherry print one with a similar neckline).  I even collect vintage pin-up photos and illustrations, and I started that when I was frequenting thrift stores in Cubao as a college student.

Anyway, I don’t think I’ve worn this often enough, as people always seem surprised whenever I fish it out of the closet.  I think my sister even mistook it for a really old dress of mine because it probably looked like I mugged a 10-year old for this.  I’m very nearly 30, so it also made me think–am I going to be too old soon for cute dresses?

Forever 21 Floral Dress

Forever 21 Floral Dress

I suppose I’ll just have to rely on good friends who won’t spare my feelings to tell me that I’m starting to look ridiculous.  While I normally avoid pleated skirts, for example (among other things I deem age inappropriate at this point), it’s more difficult to discern with dresses that are too cute to resist.  If I can still get away with it, then I will.

Side note: I darkened my previous hair color care of Empire Salon at Hotel Intercon, Makati!  Thanks to style director Cristy for helping me achieve a more palatable brown, because my previous one was starting too look a little brassy and reddish for me.

Forever 21 Floral Dress

Photos by Nio Manzano

Dress: Forever 21 / Shoes: Australian / Earrings: Aldo / Necklace: Stockton Row / Mineral lipstick: Mary Kay Sizzling Red

Related posts:
F-STOP Hyper Collection
Bloggers United 2: The ultimate fashion bazaar this year!
A Belle de Jour Power Planner 2014 Giveaway
View the Post Gallery:

26 Responses to “Are We Ever Too Old For Cute Dresses?”

1. I don’t think it looks too young on you! I like ‘cute’ dresses too, so I actually understand what you mean about worrying if we’re too old for them. I wonder too, especially when I have to remember that I’m already in my mid-thirties! But I love them — floral prints, crocheted collars, that sort. :) I guess I’ll keep wearing them habang feeling young pa.

• Alex says:

I think it was a year or so ago when my sister saw me carrying this and she asked–”You’re wearing that??” cos she thought it was a kid’s dress, hahaha! And it’s so short pa! Also–peter pan collars! I don’t usually wear them but I like them! And if I find one that suits me, then I’ll probably still wear it haha. Bakit, si Zooey Deschanel lang ba ang pwede??

2. fetz says:

Napaisip ako dito ah. Haha pero no, we’re not too old for them because we look young for our age. Hahaha

3. Bea says:

I think pwede pa sa iyo ang cute dresses. I can get away with them but I don’t want to wear them in school where I can be mistaken for a student and marked an absentee faculty again.

• Alex says:

I’d only wear something like this during the weekends, no way will I wear them to events where I have to work or else I’d look like a kid, too. xD

4. Rae says:

It helps that it’s not pastel. It doesn’t seem to cutesy and you don’t look 30 anyway.

• Alex says:

You’re right! I think if this was in light pink or yellow, I would have problems with it. For now, I think I’m still safe. xD (And thanks!)

5. tasj says:

Interesting point and made me think. Do you really think pleated skirts are a terrible idea at our age? I Loff them and never realized they could be a bad idea. No one in my current circles really know fashion xD

• Alex says:

I feel you. I used to love pleated skirts. But most pleated skirts I encounter nowadays, especially ones with prints, I think they’re too young for me already. As always, there may be exceptions. I can still see myself being able to wear a turtleneck with a plain black pleated skirt (or dark gray, navy blue) with stockings or tights. I can stretch it for a few years more if I still have this sort of body then; otherwise it’s better left for teens and young twentysomethings.

6. John Sherwynn Chan says:

Nobody is too young for printed, cutesy dresses, all depends on how you wear it haha

Ps. My cab driver is driving like a maniac on an f1 race track right now

• Alex says:

Maybe a year or two ago, I would be inclined to agree. But I think it really depends on the person, and as we get older, the chances that these dresses will still look good on a 30++ diminish. Also, a slimmer body still helps! But maybe even kahit payat ako but my knees and legs are all wrinkly na, I probably wouldn’t show so much skin anymore. :P Unless I make up for it with CHARM and ADORABLENESS…eh ngayon palang problem na nga yun eh hahaha!

7. Rosette says:

Now you got me thinking about this. HAHA. But I don’t think so long as you can handle it without looking pa-cute. In this case, you’re not. So no worries!

Btw, I’m pretty sure I saw you in BGC last Saturday. Wasn’t able to say hi though, next time <3

• Alex says:

Thank you! I used to think I could wear anything, really…but now that I’m getting older, I find that this isn’t true anymore. I really have to leave some things behind no matter how much adorable I think they are. Now I’m a little bit sorry I wasn’t wearing girlier outfits like this more often.

Also, sayang! Why do I always get that–”I saw you in ___, but I didn’t say hi”? Do I look scary? Haha! Next time, okay? :D

8. Joshua says:

Alex, we are never too old to try things, different things. The people who often think and feel that they are old, are OLD. Let’s wear what we want to wear.

9. Krissy says:

You’re so pretty, Alex! Girl crush na kita haha. Also, I LOVE that dress, please sell it to me when you get tired of it? ^_^ Your earrings, too!

10. Lyn says:

Interesting subject you just brought to the fore…I do end up asking the same question whenever I go dress shopping. I still have a thing for cute dresses but lately I’ve transitioned to dresses with less frills. Honestly, it’s kind of becoming difficult to find a dress that expresses youthfulness without having to appear immature or too “auntie” looking. I mean, are you also finding it difficult to find that sort of cut ‘n print in the Philippines?

• Alex says:

I gravitate more often to clothes that are more sophisticated, and fierce/sexy looks, and those are exactly for my age. But every now and then, I do have my girly moments, and I have dresses like this. Luckily, I don’t have that problem yet…and if I want a silhouette or print for myself but I want it to be more suitable to my body/age, I’ll have something like it made with just a few personal adjustments. :D