The Reluctant Stylista

Don’t get me started on the fact that we don’t have Sephora here.  Now, I am not exactly a makeupholic, so my top 5 list may not be the common beauty blogger picks.  But if you’re like me and you enjoy quality mineral make-up, organic products and eyebrow essentials, then you might be bothered for a look.

Top 1: Jane Iredale

Jane Iredale actually had quite a short stint here in the Philippines, and I believe I still saw them a few months ago in Rustan’s.  But I was told this was merely to sell off their remaining stocks and boy, the prices are so jacked up.  I love their mineral powder in Golden Glow and Warm Sienna, which I combined with The Face Shop’s Phytogenic Make-up Base.  People would interrupt me mid-conversation to tell me I had very nice skin (someone said it even looked poreless! And another asked me how old I was), and I don’t remember that happening as often as it did when I was using these.

Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Mineral Foundation

Please, I hope Jane Iredale sets up its own shop here in the Philippines!

Note: The mineral powder is very light, and hardly considered to be make-up, so don’t expect coverage.  But I believe Jane Iredale does very well with sensitive skin, and has none of the common acne-inducing ingredients.

Top 2: Innisfree

Innisfree is a Korean brand known for touting organic products and everything in their line is naturalism-oriented.  I was first introduced to this by my friend Jenny Ngai, who runs Beauty Instincts and Eyelash Diva.  I loved the water-based make-up remover, the green tea mineral mist and the eco natural green tea BB cream.  I especially love the latter (thanks Kira for giving me your tube!), even though it only comes in two shades.  It’s very kind on skin, too–two of my friends with very sensitive skin use the BB cream and they don’t break out.  At first application, I thought I didn’t match either shade, but it settled into my skin after a while.  Oil control is not perfect (and I’ve never really found ‘perfect’, so I still rely on oil control film and mattifiers), but it’s way better on this aspect than all liquid foundations I’ve tried.  I love that all their products smell really clean, too.

Innisfree Eco Natural Green Tea BB Cream

Top 3: Some Neutrogena products

Yes, I know we have Neutrogena here in the Philippines, but sadly, plenty of my favorites aren’t sold here (or at least in some cases, not anymore).  I have to get my stock of the Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunblock and T-Gel outside of the country, and I only chanced on their clarifying shampoo once in S&R.

Neutrogena Sheer Mist Sunblock, Clarifying Shampoo, T-Gel

Top 4: Urban Decay

A lot of online stores here sell Urban Decay, actually, but I’d really want to be able to swatch their palettes or just stroll casually into their boutique if I see it as I go about my weekend merriment.  Wanted: Naked palettes and primer potion.

Naked Urban Decay

Top 5: Origins

This used to be available in Rustan’s, but I don’t know about that anymore.  Even then, they didn’t have the complete line.  I discovered this brand when I was still in college (via my sister) and of course I could not afford it.  But now that I can, I can’t seem to find it.  I’m deathly curious to try their moisturizers because two middle-aged women I know with fantastic skin swear by it.

Origins Moisturizer

Special mention: Bath and Body works

A lot of balikbayans hoard this as pasalubong for relatives when they come home.  I wish we had it here, as I love bath and body products that smell like sweet pastries and cream.  I especially loved their Warm Vanilla bath gel.

Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla

Make Up Forever used to be in this list until they reopened in Manila late last year.  I used to have my cousin in Singapore buy their totally amazing Aqua Brow for me.  It’s waterproof, long-lasting, won’t rub off so easily and a small tube will last you years.

Discontinued products that I miss:

Jergens Soft Shimmer

I LOVED this.  Being eternally plagued with leg scars, I used this to deflect and reflect light, which helped in improving the appearance of dark spots.  Jergens says they produced something similar, but I’ve yet to see that in local shelves.

Jergens Soft Shimmer

Human Nature’s Royal Jelly and Aloe Vera Night Moisturizer

This was the best moisturizer I’ve ever had, and it was SO cheap and organic to boot!  Unfortunately, a lot of other people were reacting to the royal jelly.  I hate it when that happens to a product, especially when it has good ingredients.  Natural bee products, when you’re not fatally allergic to them, are actually quite healthy for us.

Human Nature Royal Jelly and Aloe Vera best Night moisturizer

Now it’s your turn.  I want to hear what other people are clamoring for to be brought here to the PH, officially!  I’ve heard of Rimmel, RMK etcetera, but what I really want to know are specific products. What is so absolutely amazing that you want it here?  What do you pester your friends who are going out of the country to buy for you?  Because if I get curious enough, it’ll make my list the next time I (or a very nice, accommodating friend) go abroad.

Related posts:
On the lookout for new models and faces
Kustie Body Scrub Jam and Body Butter
A Tale of Two Skincare Routines
View the Post Gallery:

21 Responses to “5 Beauty Brands I Wish Were in the PH”

1. Bea says:

I just want Urban Decay potion to land here, too. :(

2. Stephie says:

Hi! For the Neutrogena clarifying shampoo, I’ve seen the huge bottles in Rustans supermarkets (particularly the ones in Rockwell and Shang). I also sometimes see the Ultra Sheer Body Mist sunblock at S&R but of course, stocks are a bit erratic :) hope that helps! I want to see Rimmel, Neutrogena and Almay cosmetics, and a more complete whole Aveeno line too.

• Alex says:

Thanks for the tip! I’m curious about Rimmel, as it’s a popular search on happy.ph (which I used to be a consultant for).

• Stephie says:

Rimmel’s stuff are amazing! You should try the Kate Moss lipstick line, some local online shops carry it. I’ve also tried their BB cream, it’s also good. Hope you get to try it soon :)

• Alex says:

Oooh thanks! This is what I wanted to hear, seriously haha. Suggestions! I posted this link in FB but all the other girls discussed their favorites there. And you know FB threads get buried, while blog posts are easier to get back to for reference. xD Anyway, Rimmel lipsticks aren’t drying, are they? I have especially dry, flaky lips. :(

• Stephie says:

I have one of the Kate Moss lipsticks in #105 (originally wanted #19 but it got sold out from my source). I was hesitant to try it out because reviews said it was matte, and I have dry lips too, but I ended up wearing it for weeks in a row! I’m now halfway through my tube :)

(I have dry lips too and no lip balm ever worked for me. My friends finally persuaded me to try petroleum jelly and it’s the only thing I use now.)

3. Pat says:

I second the inisfree! I’m also curious about Hourglass and Le Metier de Beaute for high end, and Boots and some of the Wet and Wild products not available here for the low end.

4. Rae says:

Two of the five in your list is in mine too! Neutrogena (cosmetics and their grapefruit acne wash) and Bath and Body Works (for the candles!!!)

If I may add, I want Sonia Kashuk too.

• Alex says:

It’s really too bad they pulled some Neutrogena product off the shelves because they don’t do too well with the local market. =/ What’s good at Sonia Kashuk?

5. Erika Kris says:

OMG i have a full list for this. but i’ll only mention a few.
    La-Roche Posay Baume b5, it’s for irritated skin
    Dr. Hauschka day cream, moisturizer for extreme dry skin
    No7 lip liner
    Tom Ford lipstick
    ….

6. I also wish they sold Urban Decay products here :( ang hirap makahanap ng consistent supplier dito. Would be nice to have an actual store.

7. I miss Origins too! So sad when I found out they no longer had a section in Rustans :( Wait, I thought Urban Decay was available in Rustans?? You mean they’re gone too??? Waaah!

• Alex says:

What? I’ve never seen Urban Decay in Rustan’s! Or maybe just select items? Most people I know just buy Urban Decay online here. =/

8. The brands on your list are to die for! It’s really sad they are not available in the Philippines. Good thing, there are online stores where we can purchase them : p

9. Matromao says:

I want to see the complete Philosophy collection of products here, so I hope there’s enough of a demand that more can be brought in. (Especially for the eau de parfum versions of their fragrances.) I also want to see Innisfree here and… Sephora! Oh, and @ErikaKris, speaking of No7, it would be amazing for Boots to open here as well.

10. Daisy says:

i’m going gaga over Sephora! Huhuhu :(

11. Matromao says:

Innisfree’s a good one. Also, I wish Tarte would open a boutique here. I wished for Philosophy for a long time, and I’m so happy they finally opened in the Philippines.